Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

The Top 25 keyboard shortcuts for Windows 10 that save you the most time when working in Windows

 Hey, The top 25 keyboard shortcuts for Windows 10 that save you the most time when working in Windows. They'll do this by learning how to splityour screen multiple different ways, find your files and applications,multitask across multiple desktops, cascade your windows, shortcut your favorite program and somuch more all in the name of getting you to happy hour. Shortcuts like this are the fastestway that I know of to double your productivity in whateverprogram you're working in, and to make life a littlebit easier for you, I've created a free pdf cheat sheet thatyou can download directly beneath this video.

Top 25 keyboard shortcuts for Windows 10


Top 25 keyboard shortcuts for Windows 10


#1
 Top shortcut number one,the Windows search shortcut, which I believe is the most usefulWindows 10 shortcut you might not be using yet, and the Windows search shortcut is simplyeither hitting the windows key or the Ctrl + Esc key. Either one is goingto launch what's now called Cortana, which allows you to hit the buttons, I'll hit the windows key and starttyping something you're looking for. So if you want to find Excel,you can see Excel automatically pops up. If I type PowerPoint, notice I don't even have to continueor finish typing PowerPoint to have PowerPoint pop up. If you want to find your Bluetoothspeakers or something like that, just type Bluetooth and you're gonnasee Bluetooth and other devices pops up. This is the fastest way to find programsand system level settings on your computer. You just simply hit theWindows or Ctrl + Esc key type, which are looking for,I'm looking for my mouse now. You're going to see changeyour mouse settings pops up. Now you can use this to look for files, so top shortcuts on your computer. You even have a document filter up top,but this is not the fastest way. I don't recommend trying to find filesthrough this windows search shortcut. I'll show you a bettershortcut for doing that. 

#2
This is for settings and applicationsonly using windows or the control escape keyboard shortcuts,top shortcut number two, your favorite program shortcut, which takes just a couple of secondsto set up and your favorite program or application shortcut is simply going tobe the windows key plus the number one. And here's how it's gonna work.Here's a snapshot of my desktop. Notice I have these programs sitting atthe bottom of my screen on my taskbar. Once you set this up, these becomeWindows plus number, keyboard shortcuts. So Windows plus one,two, three etc. Which makes sense for settingup your most frequently used programs here on your taskbar to createthese easy to use shortcuts. Now I'm going to show youhow to do this with Excel, but you can do this with absolutely anyprogram on windows including the windows snipping tool, if that's what you wantto do as I show you in my other video. So the way to set this up,I'm going again, do Excel to set up thisWindows one keyboard shortcut. I'm going to first hit Windowssearch to just hit the windows key. I'll start typing Excel. I don't have to finish typing Excelfor it to populate here in Windows. I'll right click the program andselect pin to taskbar, pin to taskbar. Click and drag it with your mouse allthe way here to the left position. So this is the number one first positionnow of which if I just hit the Windows one keyboard shortcut, you're going to see Excel automaticallyopens and I'll use a shortcut to close it. So Windows one is now goingto automatically open Excel. Allowing me to dive into myfavorite program if Excel was it, so I could start saving time and ifany time you want to remove the program you've pinned here just right click, it's like unpin from task bar andthat program is going to disappear. 


#3
Top shortcut number three,the file explorer shortcut, which is the fastest way forfinding files on your computer. So whereas the Windows key, the fastest way to find programs andsettings Windows E is the fastest way to find your file. So hitting Windows Eis going to launch the file explorer, which is a much more robust system, just Windows e for searching through yourcomputer. You have filtering options, you can sort, you can look forthings, you even have search filters, and I'll talk about thatshortcut and just a second. So Windows E is a super importantkeyboard shortcut and I don't recommend putting it here in the first positionfor your favorite shortcut because it's simply has the windows E keyboardshortcut to automatically launch your File Explorer. 


#4
Top shortcut number four,the file explorer search shortcut, which you can double up onin your web browser too. So once you've launched your fileexplorer Windows E or you've dug into file explorer, you can always searchyour file explorer with Control E. So I'm gonna hit Windows Eto open up my file explorer. I'm going to click into my windowsshortcuts deck. Now notice the search box. So instead of clicking inwith your mouse at anytime, just hit Control E and your cursor isgoing to automatically jump up there. So if I want to see shortcut number 12I just type 12 you can see the cascade shortcut pops open.If I want to see my snapping tool, the snapping tool shortcuts will pop up. Now the cool thing about this searchfolder and why it's better than the Window search, you can search by kind,size, properties, date modified. There's a lot of search functionalityand options up here in your search box that I'm not going to get into, but youcan get there Control E at any time. This also works, I'm going tohit windows two to open chrome, which is in the second position downon my screen in the chrome or most web browsers. If you hit Control E noticeyou pop up directly to the search bar, so control e when you're surfing the web, I will type our website nuts and boltsspeed training there to search for something you can just Control E isautomatically going to jump you up there. 


#5
So it's actually a double dipper keyboardshortcut top shortcut number five the switch application shortcut, which is your first of a few interestingmultitasking shortcuts in windows 10 so your first multitasking shortcut is theAlt plus tab key to jump you between two of your most recently active programs.So here I'm in PowerPoint active. If I now move to the Word PDF cheat sheetthat comes with this video If you want to download it hitting alt tab is goingto pop me back and forth between those two programs. Allowing me tomaximize my screen space, right? I don't have to try to split my screensbetween the different programs which I'll show you how to do ina minute instead it allowsyou to be full screen and just switch between your two programs. This was the first keyboard shortcut Ilearned in the corporate world and it's one I still use to this day, so Alt Tab and you can see thislittle black screen that pops up, which I'll show you how to freeze ina second is your first multitasking shortcut for saving time, workingwith multiple files at the same time. 


#6
Top shortcut number six,the application freeze shortcut, which is another way you canmultitask between different programs. Your second multitaskingshortcut is Alt Control Tab. So whereas Alt Tab will jump you betweenyour two most recent programs holding the control key in there with thereand letting go is going to open up your switch application dialogue box, allowing you to click into whicheverprograms you want. So there's PowerPoint, here's word, and then I could alt tab between thosetwo most recently active programs, if you want to jump to a third programcontrol alt tab is going to pop open all of the open applications. So this is just another way orpreference that you can jump between and multitask between files here in windows10 which leads us to the newest way to multitask in Windows 10.


#7
 Top shortcut number seven the new Windows 10 multitasking view shortcut. So instead of hitting Alt plus theTab key to switch applications, now you can also hit the Windows keyplus the tab key to open up this new multitasking view.So Windows tab is going to open up. You're going to see allof your open programs. And the newest thing is you can nowscroll through the most recent documents you've worked on here inthe multitasking view. So Windows tab will show you not onlythe programs you have to work with, not only the most recent programsthat you've been working with, but this is also where you canmanage your virtual desktops. And I'll talk about managing these virtualdesktops and flipping between them in just a second. So this is yet anotherway windows tab that you can choose, this is a personal preference if thisis how you want to switch programs and multitask in Windows 10.


#8
Top shortcut number eight, the switch virtual desktop shortcut,which is good for setting up three, four or more documents that youwant to work on at the same time. Your switch virtual desktop shortcut isControl Windows plus the left or right Arrow.But first you need to set this up. So hit windows tab on your keyboardto open up your multitasking view. So here on my second virtual desktop, you can add as many virtualdesktops as you want. Let's say I want towork on this excel file, and I also want to work on thispdf cheat sheet here in Word. So here on my second desktop,if I click into it, I'm only going to see my word documentand my excel document. All right, which I can Alt Tab between hereon my second virtual desktop. If I Windows Control to the left,I'm gonna move back to my other desktop, where I have this PowerPointfile and this folder. So here on this first virtual desktop, I can alt tab between thetwo as I'm working away. When I then want to work onmy excel and word document, control windows to the right Arrow, and I can then flip betweenjust those two documents. So in this way you can create multiplevirtual desktops that you can then flip between multiple files andat anytime just windows tab, you can click into a virtual desktopand just click and drag files onto the other desktop if you want to work onthem there. 


#9
Top shortcut number nine, the minimize all windowskeyboard shortcut, which I like to call it the desktop drill. If you're like most people I know you'reprobably using your desktop as an open place holder for your active foldersor files that you're working on, which can be problematic for findingthose files when you have a bunch of different windows open like this, so this is where the Windows D desktopdrill or minimize all your windows keyboard shortcut Windows D comes inhandy so Windows D will immediately take you to your desktop, minimizingall of your open or active windows. If you don't open anything,if hitting Windows D, second time we'll bring everything backinto its place that you already have open. But if you do Windows D there isthe keyboard shortcut pdf you can download directly beneath this videothat I want to work on. As I open that up now Windows D willjust keep that one open and all my other windows will stay minimized. So this is a super fast way if you toouse your desktop as an open place holder from working on your files to find thefiles that are buried beneath all your active windows on your desktop. 


#10
Top shortcut number 10 the minimize allbut one windows shortcut that hardly anybody knows about. Let's say that I have this folder openand I want to Windows D get this word document into that folder. The questionis how do you do that without all right? Having to minimize all ofthese windows individually, what you need to do is simply grab thewindow this is just a mouse keyboard shortcut and shake. So for example, ifI grab this window and with my mouse, I click and hold and I shake. Notice that I minimize all windowsexcept the open window so that I can then click and drag. All right, thatdocument here into this folder, windows shake again and all ofthe other windows will open up. This is also useful. Allright, there's a window shake. Imagine if this was my email server.I want it to windows shake down. I wanted to grab something, attach itto an email window shake back open, and all of the otherapplications will open again. Just make sure thatwhen you're doing this, you give it a sharp littleshake and sharp little shake. Again to activate the shortcut. So that's your minimize allbut one window mouse shortcut. 


#11
Top shortcut number 11 your split screenwindows or windows snap shortcuts and your splitscreen shortcuts are reallyfour different keyboard shortcuts, but I'm just going to count them as onefor this video. So windows plus the left, right up or down Arrow keys.And the way this works, let's say I want to split screen thisPowerPoint file out windows to the left. Windows will automatically assume thatI don't already have a window split here will give me some options. I'm going to split this betweenmy pdf shortcut cheat sheet, which you can download directly beneaththis video with all these windows shortcuts.So here is a double split screen. I can select my PowerPoint file andwindows up to create a third split. You can even go to afourth split if you want, but basically you're justusing the windows up, right, left down Arrow keys to create thesedifferent splits and as long as you have, don't have something split there.Alright, windows to the left, you're going to get the option to splitanother working document and I'll show you a cool PowerPointtrick in just a second. But another cool thing is you canset up windows control to the right. If you set up multiple virtual desktops, I will windows to the right snap that one. You can have two files here or threefiles or four files. Snapped like this, control windows to the left.You can have two more files like this. So this is another way that you cancreate a unique multitasking scenario if you're working with a ton of differentfiles and you need to flip back and forth between them. Now one cool little PowerPoint trick hereis that not a lot of people know about is if you split your PowerPoint files, you can actually take one slide from onepresentation and just drag it into the other, which creates a copy of thoseslides. I'll take these holding shift, I'll drag them over there.This is a fast way. If you work back and forth betweenpresentations in PowerPoint to get slides from one presentation into another. If you want to learn a bunch of other coolPowerPoint hacks and tricks like this, check out my free mini series in thedescription box below this video. 


#12 and #13
Top shortcut number 12 number 13the cascade an un-cascade shortcuts. Your cascade un-cascade shortcuts is acombination of right clicking your mouse and hitting the d or the U key,but you have to right click your taskbar. So in this case, look, Ihave all these open files. Let's say I want to cascade them all.I just right click and hit d. All of my files will cascade, allowing me to either come through andclose them out by clicking these x's and I'll show you a keyboard shortcutfor doing that in a minute. You could also click to findyour program you're looking for. If you right click and hit U, it will bring all of your files or openwindows back to how they currently were or previously were. So right ClickD will cascade quickly, right click, U will Un-cascade. The key is you do have to right clickyour taskbar to make those keyboard shortcuts work. 


#14
Top shortcut number14 the show windows stack shortcut, which is a fast alternative to snappingor cascading your open windows. Another cool shortcut off of your taskpart is to right click it and hit E to see all of your windows stacked, which will help you work withlots of files and windows. So if I have a bunch of windows open,if I hit alt control tab, you can say have a bunchof different files open. If I want us to see them stacked on mydesktop, I can right click and hit E, which will stack all of my open windowsand these little miniaturized windows, right click.U will undo that. So right click E will stack all of themultiple windows you have open you can find the window you want, snap it to the sides of yourcomputer screen and createthat split screen effect. And here, I'll split the screenwith my PowerPoint file. So that's, your right click your taskbar Estack windows keyboard shortcut. 

#15
Top shortcut number 15 yourcycle application shortcut, which works great when working withyour Microsoft office documents. The cycle application shortcut isControl F6 and what that does is cycle whatever program you're in. Soif I'm in a word, all right, notice I have two word files open.If I Alt Tab, I'm going to pop back to PowerPointbecause that's where I just was. But if I'm in Word and I hit Control F6I'm just going to cycle between whatever word files I have open so I don't haveto worry about my excel or my PowerPoint files.If I then go back to PowerPoint, I come to cycle applications and I ControlF6 I'm just going to cycle through, which will save you a bunch of time fromotherwise having to find the file that you want to work on next. 


#16
Top shortcutnumber 16 the close file shortcut, which you can double dip on with themultitasking view shortcut windows tab. The windows 10 close file shortcut iscontrol w which will close out of the file without closing out the application.So for example, here is an excel file it's open,it's blank. If I hit Control W I willclose out of the file, but Excel stays open so I can continueworking in it, opening new documents, et cetera. But if you have multiple righthere, I have one PowerPoint file open, here I have two PowerPoint files open. If I hit Control W onthis PowerPoint file, that entire window will close becauseI still have this application open. So control w is a fast way,right? To just close out of a file you'reworking on and if you've made an edit, so I've edited that I control w it'sstill going to ask you to save so you're never going to lose your work when youuse Control W to close a file and to multitask off it in the multitasking view.As you start to walk around here, you can control w keyboard shortcutto close out of these different files, which here if there's no more fileopen and we'll also close out of the application. So that's a little double dipper keyboardshortcut for control w that you can use in the multitasking view shortcutwindows tab on your keyboard. 


#17
Top shortcut number 17 theclose application shortcut, which is a more intense version of theclose file shortcut hitting Alt F4 on your keyboard. Will close out ofyour file and your applications. So if I come to that pdf cheatsheet that I keep opening, you can download directlybeneath this video. If I hit Alt F4 and I've made nochanges Word and the file you can see, Word is no longer open. Whereas if you're in a file so you don'thave to worry about losing your work, if you change something Alt F4 it willask if you want to save your changes before you actually close out of the fileand the program and where you can use this as a double dipper withthe Windows D keyboard shortcut. So Windows D to your desktop Alt F4 willactually launch your shut down windows operation hit enter and yourcomputer will start to shut down, automatically sleep,et cetera. So that is your Alt F4 close applicationor actually even close down your computer keyboard shortcut.


#18
 Top shortcutnumber 18 the new application shortcut, which is great for moving thingsaround with file explorer. The new application shortcut is justControl N which will create a new instance control N we'll create a new instanceof whatever application you're currently in.But where this really is useful. If I hit Windows E tolaunch my file explorer, let's say here in my file explorer, I want to crawl through someof these different folders, but I want to drag folders in betweenso I can hit Control N to also create a new file explorer windowsleft arrow will snap it, I will snap or a splitscreen with this one. This now allows me to dig through thedifferent files on my computer and you know, start to drag thingsleft to right, et cetera. So that is the Windows Nnew applications shortcut, which is extremely useful when creatingsplit screens with your file explorers to move files around your computer. 



#19
Top shortcut number 19 thecreate new folder shortcut. Similar to the new application shortcutControl N. If you throw in a shift key, you can create a new folder on yourdesktop or in any file explorer window. So if I Windows E to open file explorer, let's say I'm here in this window ControlShift N will start a new folder that I can name,I'll name it Taylor's folder, hit enter Control Shift Nwill create another one. That's just the fast way you can createa bunch of new folders to move files around in file explorer or if you're onyour desktop or Windows D control shift N will create a new folder here as well.So that is the new folder, keyboard shortcut controlshift N on your keyboard. 


#20
Top shortcut number 20 the create newoffice file shortcut for quickly loading up the new folders youcreate in file explorer. Once you've created some new folders, you can right click w and select toload up your new folders with new office files. If I just windows D to come back to thatnew folder I created just a second ago, if I now want to load this up with newoffice documents I can right click and W will open up this little flywheel thatlet's me add right a Microsoft word document, Taylor's word document.Let's say that this is a project. So I'm also going to right clickw I'm gonna need an excel file. I'm going to right click wI'm not going to name it. So there's just a fast way that youcan throw a bunch of different document types into a folder withouthaving to first open the file, save as et cetera. You can then open these and they willstart as new blank files that you can work with. So that is the createnew office file shortcut, right click with yourmouse within a new folder, hit w and just simply selectwhat you want to create. 


#21
Top shortcut number 21 your fileexplorer navigation shortcuts, which also work when surfing the web. Your navigational shortcuts are Alt plusleft arrow to move backwards and Alt plus right Arrow to move forward.So if I Windows E, open up my file explorer and I diginto, all right, this this folder, I'll dig into another folder. Alt left Arrow is going to walkme back the same direction I, I just came from and Alt forwardarrow will walk me forward. Now it's important to know that this isonly following your history of how you walked through your folders.All right, this is not jumping you up a folder levelwhich you can click up here to jump up a folder level, so this is justall left Arrow to walk you back. All right Arrow to walk you forwards, which is the same keyboard shortcut youcan use for going forwards and backwards in most modern web browsers. 


#22
Top shortcut number 22 the preview fileshortcut which saves you from otherwise having to open and close a bunch offiles to find what you're looking for. A great shortcut for the file exploreris Alt plus P to preview a file before you have to open it.So if I open up a file explorer, let's say that I'm not sure which oneof these documents is the one I want to find.So I just select the file Alt P. Will open up a preview pane and you cansee exactly what that file looks like before you open it. Now if I clickon a word document, you can see, I can also scroll through the documentto find or see if this is the actual file before I actually open it. So this is a super fast wayto quickly view your files. Now just one little heads up becausethis does use your system ram. When you're not using it. I would justhit Alt P to close back out of it. So that's Alt P to open or close thepreview pane in your file explorer. 

#23
Top shortcut number 23 the documentproperty shortcut for quickly getting information about a file or folder. To see the properties for a file or folderin windows 10 simply hold the alt key and double click it with your mouse.So if I Windows D my desktop, I'm trying to save space on my computer, I can Alt Double-Click to immediatelysee how big this folder is when it was created or there's someother security settings. But generally I'm just looking for size. So if I want to see thisfolder Alt double click, this one's only six kg double click,this one 703 megabytes, so there's just a fast way.Then if I open up a folder, Alt double click will show you all theproperty details for that file as well. So that is the file or folder propertyshortcut and just hold the alt key on your keyboard and doubleclick with your mouse. 


#24
Top shortcut number 24 oneof my personal favorites, the screen clipping shortcut. Now in Windows 10 you have a couple ofapplications to help you clip your screen. You have the new windows ink work spaceand you have the snipping tool which i show you how to shortcut in myother videos here on Youtube, my favorite screen clipping shortcut andis Windows Shift S which used to be a OneNote shortcut, but now it's just windows 10 windowsshift S will white white out your screen. You can click and drag. All right,to snip whatever part of it you want, and if you paste it into anewer version of PowerPoint, you're now going to getthese new slide design ideas. Which is a fast way tocreate slide backgrounds, which you can check out my other videoif you want to see how to leverage this best. But the great thing about adding yourscreen clippings here in PowerPoint is if you Shift F5 you can, if you have a pen or with your mouseControl P is the inking shortcut. If you don't have a pen, you cancreate this inking scenario. All right? But when you hit escape and select keep, this becomes a second layer ontop of your PowerPoint slide. You can also another advantage, Italk about my other videos. All right, is you can add annotations orbanners and stuff like that. So that is my favorite way to clip myscreen in windows 10 with the Windows Shift S shortcut. 


#25
And finally top shortcut number 25 youraction center shortcut for finding your system level settings on your computerand your action center shortcut is just windows A, hitting windows A will open up some ofthe most frequently used things you'll probably want to do on your computer,which is why it made this top 25 list. All settings, change your networks,tablet mode, airplane mode, change the brightness, see what kind of Bluetooth devices youhave connected to your computer Windows A will, open them all up you evenhave project to other monitors, which will save you abunch of time Windows A, when you want to do thesethings on your computer. Now yours might start collapsed. 

Simply Click expand to see all thedifferent options you have here with the Windows A keyboard shortcut. And that wraps up these top 25 keyboardshortcuts that save you the most time when working in Windows 10 and we'llstart to double your productivity. And if you want to grab a pdf cheat sheetof these top 25 keyboard shortcuts and see additional resources thatwill help get you to happy hour. Just look for the linksdirectly beneath this blog. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments